California EV 50,000 km Service

20190401_144741

It was time for the 50,000km service on the EV, so with the Chief’s help, I ran the big gal up onto the lift, tied her down, and jacked her up.

Firstly. drop all the fluids.

fluid collage

Then remove the sump to replace the oil filter.  I use a car jack to support the sump while I loosen the screws – it’s not heavy but it leaves my hands free.  The gasket wasn’t damaged in the process so I reused it.  As I have for the past 15 years on my Calis and Breva, I used a Ryco Z418, obtainable anywhere.  It’s the same filter that’s used in the Toyota Landcruiser V8.  I don’t like the Guzzi recommended UFI filters – they’ve always leaked on my Breva 1100.  I use a a hose clamp, with the boss hard up against the oil pressure regulator valve, to minimise the risk of the filter loosening.

20190403_103444

A smear of grease on the pan surface, then onto the car jack to replace the screws.  The grease allows the pan to slide around slightly on the gasket as I search for the first couple of screw holes.

I had some left-over Penrite 15W-50 Diesel and Penrite HPR10 10W-50 Synthetic, so I mixed the two together and gave the Guzzi a 3 litre cocktail.  Used Penrite 80W-90 gear oil in the gearbox and rear drive.  Since Guzzi recommend adding molybdenum to the rear drive, I gave it and the gear box a shot of Penrite Shift Eze.  As you can tell, I like using Penrite – it’s easy to get where I live.

Next job, check the tappets.  One exhaust gap needed to be reset.  I use a drinking straw or wood skewer to determine top-dead-centre, rotating the engine with a spanner on the alternator nut, watching the valves close.  I use a light hand on the skewer – I don’t want it break in the cylinder!

20190403_152051

A light smear of grease on the rocker cover allows the cover to move slightly as I find the screw holes and protects the gasket.

rocker collage

Note how clean the rocker covers are.  Years ago I used to get white, creamy smegma in them but that stopped when I changed to Penrite.

While she was on the ramp, I had a good look underneath her, checking for loose centre-stand bolts and gear linkage, particularly where it joins the spline at the back of the gear box – that came loose once on my ’01 Metal Stone.  All OK.  The side-stand boss was showing some wear where it supported the weight of the bike.

New spark plugs and she was ready for a test run  Next, the fork oil and the brake fluid.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s