It was time for the 50,000km service on the EV, so with the Chief’s help, I ran the big gal up onto the lift, tied her down, and jacked her up.
Firstly. drop all the fluids.
Then remove the sump to replace the oil filter. I use a car jack to support the sump while I loosen the screws – it’s not heavy but it leaves my hands free. The gasket wasn’t damaged in the process so I reused it. As I have for the past 15 years on my Calis and Breva, I used a Ryco Z418, obtainable anywhere. It’s the same filter that’s used in the Toyota Landcruiser V8. I don’t like the Guzzi recommended UFI filters – they’ve always leaked on my Breva 1100. I use a a hose clamp, with the boss hard up against the oil pressure regulator valve, to minimise the risk of the filter loosening.
A smear of grease on the pan surface, then onto the car jack to replace the screws. The grease allows the pan to slide around slightly on the gasket as I search for the first couple of screw holes.
I had some left-over Penrite 15W-50 Diesel and Penrite HPR10 10W-50 Synthetic, so I mixed the two together and gave the Guzzi a 3 litre cocktail. Used Penrite 80W-90 gear oil in the gearbox and rear drive. Since Guzzi recommend adding molybdenum to the rear drive, I gave it and the gear box a shot of Penrite Shift Eze. As you can tell, I like using Penrite – it’s easy to get where I live.
Next job, check the tappets. One exhaust gap needed to be reset. I use a drinking straw or wood skewer to determine top-dead-centre, rotating the engine with a spanner on the alternator nut, watching the valves close. I use a light hand on the skewer – I don’t want it break in the cylinder!
A light smear of grease on the rocker cover allows the cover to move slightly as I find the screw holes and protects the gasket.
Note how clean the rocker covers are. Years ago I used to get white, creamy smegma in them but that stopped when I changed to Penrite.
While she was on the ramp, I had a good look underneath her, checking for loose centre-stand bolts and gear linkage, particularly where it joins the spline at the back of the gear box – that came loose once on my ’01 Metal Stone. All OK. The side-stand boss was showing some wear where it supported the weight of the bike.
New spark plugs and she was ready for a test run Next, the fork oil and the brake fluid.